What Is The Policy For Taking A Leave?
We have a mutual understanding with the Avon Maitland District School Board that it is the responsibility of each occasional teacher to request a leave in writing, which is 4 consecutive weeks or longer. Templates for Leaves of Absence can be found on The Core, HR Services and Forms and Templates. Failure to complete required leave could result in disciplinary action as this is a requirement of the Collective Agreement.
As per the Memorandum of Understanding between The Government of Ontario AND Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario (the “Union”):
Long Term Assignments:
14. A member of ETFO employed by a board to fill a long-term assignment position that is a full year for that employee’s job class shall be eligible for the following sick leave credits during a board’s fiscal year, allocated at the commencement of the long-term assignment:
- Eleven (11) days of Sick Leave paid at 100% of regular salary.
- Sixty (60) days per year of Short Term Sick Leave paid at 90% of regular salary.
15. A member of ETFO who is employed by a board to fill a long-term assignment position that is less that a full year for that employee’s job class shall be eligible for eleven (11) days of Sick Leave and sixty (60) days of Short Term Sick Leave as per section 14, reduced to reflect the proportion the assignment bears to the length of the regular work year, and allocated at the start of the assignment.
16. A long-term assignment shall be as defined in the 2008-2012 collective agreement. Where no such definition exists, a long-term assignment will be defined as twelve (12) days of continuous employment in one assignment.
For more information regarding sick leave click on the following link PRS Bulletin #95 Sick Leave Questions Answered.